Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Enchiladas and Rice

Over on the facebook page, I asked if I should share this recipe or not and overwhelmingly got told to share it! So here it is:

ENCHILADAS WITH MEXICAN RICE AND CORN
Ingredients
Red enchilada sauce
Mild green chiles
Diced onions
Approximately 1/2 lb lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
Tortillas
Mexican cheese blend
Corn

Directions
1. Prepare rice as directed on package. Just throw in a handful of corn when adding the water and mix to the pot.
2. Heat up the enchilada sauce in a small saucepan.
3. Brown the ground beef with the onions and chiles.
4. Layer cheese and beef mixture in tortillas, roll up and put a spoonful of sauce over the rolled up tortilla.
5. Add a serving of rice to the plate and serve!

Serves 2

My decent looking food BEFORE the first bite
We try very hard not to waste food in the house. Even when something isn't the best meal I've made, we tend to eat it anyway because it's edible and we just make sure that I never make it again. I took two, maybe three bites of my food and Hubby took one or two bites before I eagerly agreed to throw the entire meal into the trash can! Only PGS ate his dinner, but that's because he had a tortilla with cheese only in it - no sauce, no beef mixture.

I know this meal doesn't sound that bad on paper, but it tasted horrible. The rice is too something - probably too heavily seasoned, so if I ever attempt this again, I'll use Spanish rice instead of the Mexican rice. The beef mixture with the cheese wasn't bad. I tasted the beef mixture before putting it in the tortilla and aside from needing some taco seasoning for burritos or tacos, it was good. (I figured the lack of added seasoning would be okay this time because of the enchilada sauce.) My guess is that the enchilada sauce that I bought is just terrible to our taste buds (guess I need to learn how to make my own. Unfortunately, I used up all of the beef mixture when assembling the enchiladas, so there was no way to salvage the decent tasting part of the meal.

2 comments:

  1. I have bought that rice too and didn't like it either. I don't tend to like red enchilada sauce anyways. I always use green chili enchilada sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like red enchilada sauce when it's in a Mexican restaurant, but I've never tried the green variety. I'm probably just going to have to experiment until I make a sauce we like. But I'm holding off on that for a few weeks. I don't wanna fail again! lol

      Delete