Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: 7 Layer Bars [Guest Post from Cherished]

I am not feeling very well this week, so there is a guest post from Alecia over at Cherished Giftables. I know it's not Feature Friday, but I still recommend checking out her shop if you get a chance! I love her galaxy pendants and magnets - and I will get one before the summer is over!

(The recipe is the copy that she sent to me, with minimal editing.)

20121127-130535.jpg
Ingredient list:
3/4 cup butter(a stick and a half)
A sleeve and a half graham crackers
2 cup any kind of baking chips (I used 2/3 cup each semi-sweet, white and butterscotch)
1 cup walnuts
2/3 cup coconut flakes
14oz can of condensed milk

13x9 in pan

Well last night I made 7 layer bars for the second time...well to be honest I actually made 8 layer bars this time :) Thought I'd share, the great thing about this recipe is you can change tweak it however you want....you can change the kind of chips to your hearts content :)

I start by preheating the oven to 350
And putting 3/4 c (a stick and a half) of butter in a 13x9 pan and putting the pan in the oven till the butter melts
20121127-130551.jpg
While the butter is melting I crush a sleeve and a half of graham crackers in a zip bag with my rolling pin

Once the butter is melted add the crushed graham crackers and pat down till its all even
Next I open up my can of condensed milk and drizzle about 1/4 of the can on top of the graham cracker
For the chips I used 3 different kinds, semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips
I used about 2/3c of each and just evenly sprinkled each into the pan
Then I used about a cup of walnuts and sprinkled them evenly onto of the chips
Next an almost last:) I sprinkled on maybe 2/3c of coconut flakes onto the chips
Then I drizzled on the rest of the condensed milk
20121127-130558.jpg
And lastly if you want I sprinkled a small handful of all the chips and a little coconut (I would have sprinkled walnuts too if I had held some put:))

Now you just bake for 30 mins
Let cool for 10-20 mins and cut into 24
I let it cool for a bit more then recut just to make sure it didn't run back into itself
Now this is very important and hard to do!!! Cover it and let it cool all night don't eat it yet it won't taste right until it has sat for awhile. When you're ready to eat it the next day you'll just have to break them apart I usually poke a butter knife in the cuts


Here is a link to the original post Alecia posted on her blog:
http://cherishedgiftables.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/7-layer-bars/

If you have the chance to do so, I recommend checking out her Storenvy and her facebook page.

Thank you to Alecia for sharing this recipe with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment