Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Snickerdoodle Cookies

I think my absolute favorite variety of cookie is the snickerdoodle. But the break and bake refrigerated variety just doesn't cut it. So this past weekend, when I was doing my normal, bi-weekly grocery shopping trip, I specifically bought some cream of tartar solely for making some snickerdoodles. I took to my friend, Chef Google  and searched for a snickerdoodle recipe. I found this one here and decided it was worth a try. Oh em gee! I am in love with these cookies!! 

SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tbs cinnamon

Directions
1. In a large bowl, cream the sugars and butter; add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well.
4. Refrigerate the dough for 30 to 60 minutes. While the dough is chilling, mix together the cinnamon and remaining sugar in a small bowl for rolling.
5. Preheat to 300° F.
6. Roll the dough into approximately 14-18 dough balls. Then roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press to flatten slightly.
7. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes and no longer. Cookies will be soft and chewy in the middle when they've cooled.

Butter and sugars
Combining all ingredients
Chilling the dough
Preheating the oven and the cinnamon sugar
Cookies in progress!
Cookie countdown!
Snickerdoodles! 
I am very happy with the way that this recipe turned out. My two year old was pretty happy, too. I made them Monday night and unfortunately, my 15 cookies did not make it to this morning. That is how much I liked them and so did PGS. (He really did keep asking for cookies, so it wasn't just my pregnant butt eating all of the cookies!)

Leave a comment and share your favorite cookie variety! I'd love to learn more about our readers. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm normally a chocolate chip girl, myself. But snickerdoodles are good. When I was pregnant with my son, I went through a snickerdoodle phase that lasted a good 2 months (and right around the time of my GD testing, too. Oops!) Ha, I swear, that's the only reason I have cream of tartar in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My GD testing will probably be in the next couple of weeks. Unless I can convince my midwife to agree to skip it.

      Delete