Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll French Toast

Every week, I get a bunch of recipe emails from various companies (Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, etc.) and once or twice a month, I go through and choose a few new ones to try. The last time that I went through, about two weeks ago, I saw a slow cooker recipe for cinnamon roll French toast and it just sounded like a great idea for dinner one night! Of course, I forgot to plan for a protein outside of the egg in the French toast, so it had the potential to be a too light dinner, but nobody complained about being hungry before bed a few hours later, so my accidental omission didn't do too much meal damage.

I modified the ingredients and directions to show how we made it.

SLOW COOKER CINNAMON ROLL FRENCH TOAST
Ingredients
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 can (12.4 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
3 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Real maple syrup - I did not measure the syrup, I just eyeballed it

Directions
1. Using coconut oil, grease the insides of crock. Pour melted butter into slow cooker.
2. Separate can of dough into 8 rolls; set icing aside. Cut each roll into 8 pieces; place pieces over butter in slow cooker.
3. In medium bowl, beat eggs. Add whipping cream, cinnamon and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gently pour mixture over roll pieces. Drizzle with the syrup.
4. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 2 hours 30 minutes (or until set and temperature in center is 160°F).
5. Drizzle with reserved icing and a little more syrup.
PGS unwrapping the butter to melt it
Cutting into 8 pieces and placing in crock
(I did the cutting; PGS did the placing)
Mixing the eggs, cream, cinnamon, vanilla and syrup
Cook on LOW for 2.5 hours
Ready to serve!

While this was really tasty, it is pretty sugary and not that healthy, so it's not something that I'll make often, but as the occasional treat, I think it's wonderful!
I plated it with an apple cinnamon muffin because I was worried about it not being enough food. lol

2 comments:

  1. This is SUCH an amazing idea! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! These look so yummy!! I love the idea of doing something sweet and for breakfast in a slow cooker too! It would be a great treat one weekend!

    ReplyDelete