Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Slow Cooker Ham

This week is an easy Slow Cooker meal: brown sugar and maple ham, sweet potato fries and a side of corn. (Feel free to substitute whichever sides you would prefer, those are just my favorites with ham.) A few months ago, one of my friends had posted on facebook that she made ham in the slow cooker for dinner and since I had yet to find a recipe that I liked, I asked how she did it. She gave me the following recipe:

SLOW COOKER HAM
Ingredients - no measurements, just eyeball it
Ham slices - the fully cooked variety
Real maple syrup  (none of that imitation stuff, it's basically HFCS and not as flavorful )
Brown sugar (I used light brown sugar because it's what I have in my cupboard)
Pineapple chunks or rings, optional
Water

Directions
1. Pour enough water into the crock to have about 1" water in the crock.
2. Layer ham slice, maple syrup and brown sugar and repeat until all ham slices are in the crock.
3. Cook on low for a few hours. Check after about 90 minutes to make sure you haven't over cooked since the goal is to simply heat the ham through. It's already fully cooked.
Ham, real maple syrup, brown sugar
Layered ingredients in the crock
Cook on Low
Ham and fries (I snapped the picture and forgot to put the corn there first)
I followed the directions on the bag for the sweet potato fries (sorry, I did not make them from scratch; not this time). For the corn, I dump some frozen corn into the smallest saucepan I have, add a little water, a tablespoon of butter and sprinkle some freshly ground pepper on it. I then cover it with the lid, turn the burner to low and let it cook until everything else is done or it starts to boil, whichever comes first. lol

This is the perfect, easy peasy dinner for Easter if you like to serve ham on Easter. More people you need to serve? Use a larger slow cooker! We used a 3qt slow cooker because there is only myself, hubby and PGS to feed at dinner time, but if I was feeding more people, I would use our 6qt slow cooker and buy more ham slices and use two cans of pineapple.

Tell me, what is you family doing for Easter this coming Sunday? Do you celebrate Easter? We don't usually do anything special, but this year, we are doing an egg hunt and an Easter basket for PGS. This is the first year that we're doing those things. The eggs are filled with chalk from Chalk It Up Kids and his basket has a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse book (he picked it out) and Godiva chocolate (his daddy insisted we continue his family traditions of gifting Godiva for big days).

4 comments:

  1. hmmmm i am thinking about doing a slow cooker ham but now i am really going to be ambitious and do a braised pork loin. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, ham and pork sausage are the only forms of pork we eat here. No one is a fan of other versions. I hope your meal turns out great! :D

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, now I want ham. I'm the only one here who eats it, though :(

    ReplyDelete