Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Homemade Funfetti Cake

This is the basic yellow cake recipe from my KitchenAid stand mixer's manual/recipe book. I know that store bought Pillsbury original is a white cake mix, but I'm too lazy to separate eggs, so I just use the yellow cake mix. 
My son is a huge fan of Monsters, Inc and Monsters University, so when I saw some sprinkles in the grocery store that made me think of Sully, I asked him if he wanted a Monsters birthday cake. He got excited and nodded excitedly (I think this was just a response to seeing the container of sprinkles though). And then I let him pick some candles, he chose some dinosaur shaped ones. If it isn't obvious yet, he loves to roar.  I then let him help pick out some frosting and he chose the bright blue Pillsbury Funfetti frosting.

Quick Yellow Cake
Ingredients
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Directions (modified from original recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine dry ingredients; add shortening, milk and vanilla.
2. Mix ingredients until wet and add eggs.
3. Pour batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 15-22 minutes, cupcakes are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Cool completely on wire rack; frost if desired.
Dry Ingredients
Sprinkles for a Monsters, Inc inspired cake and wet ingredients
I dumped the whole container of sprinkles into the batter for the Funfetti effect
Ready for baking!
Frosted, sprinkled and candled, ready for partying!

Everyone except for the birthday boy enjoyed the cupcakes. He didn't eat any cake on his first birthday and he only got upset about the frosting on his fingers this year, he refused to even try the cake. Who knows, he may never like cake or he might like it for his third birthday? Although, he did pick out a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting on it from the Barnes & Noble café for his free Cheesecake Factory cookie or cupcake, so maybe it's just that he was given a white cake for his first birthday and a yellow cake for his second? Because he ate most of his B&N cupcake until his daddy said no more cupcake so that he'd eat his dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment