Monday, May 5, 2014

#100itemcraftstashchallenge: Projects 41-44

This week I am bringing to you two more projects completed for the newbie we're expecting in August! I made two newborn sized diapers with the Babyville Boutique NB pattern (this pattern doesn't have an umbilical snap down and according to online reviews I've read, it runs a little big for NB). If you're new to sewing diapers and don't have YouTube handy next to your sewing machine, then I recommend the BBV book in the above link.
(No, I am not paid by BBV to promote their products. I just recommend it because for me, it was quite helpful way back in 2012 while first learning how to make a cloth diaper, since I had the pictures handy to look at, but did not have a computer right next to my sewing machine.)

Newborn diapers!
I used some solid red PUL that I had on hand and some more of that bright yellow wicking fabric that I used for PGS' dinosaur tail in February. While I'm not worried about how the wicking fabric will do as a diaper inner fabric, I am never ever going to use it again! Ugh, I cannot sew it very well since it's a fabric that I rarely use. While these two NB diapers may look all cute and tiny in pictures, they are full of flaws! Or...maybe I'm just hypercritical of my work. Either way, there is messed up stitching all over this adorable little diapers. Good thing they're only for my little one and then will probably be repurposed into stuffed animal diapers for PGS and Baby S. #2. (PGS already thinks that the tiny diapers are meant for his stuffed animals.)

And...I also completed two one size diapers for PGS. He's not quite ready for potty training, so I've been slowly adding to the OS stash of diapers since we have a second child on the way. He has a big fascination with pirates, so pirate diapers were just right for him. I used the bubble dot minky for the inner fabric because who wouldn't love soft fabric against the bum?!

OS diapers!
The pattern I use for OS diapers is one that I drafted myself pulling my favorite features from multiple patterns.

6 comments:

  1. It's so cool to be able to make your own diapers! I wanted to learn when my little was still using cloth diapers...but never got around to it. (And was a bit intimidated by it.) Cute creations, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diapers are a lot easier than some of the other stuff that I've attempted for personal projects.
      And thank you! PGS loves his pirate diapers and picks them out on his own. If they're not clean though, he fights changes. lol

      Delete
  2. Those are fantastic! I have tried a few times to make diaper covers and failed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try this. I've had the babyville book for a while but haven't attempted. I'd really like to make fitteds, but I'm not sure my serger can handle them. I should start with pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a serger (yet), so I feel like my attempts at fitteds have failed miserably so far. :/

      Delete