Friday, March 27, 2015

Feature Friday: The Dizzy Windmill

geek couture and quirky wearables

Meet Shelly Mourick, the talent behind The Dizzy Windmill!


What kind of items do you offer in your shop?
Eco friendly, handmade winter wear, bracelets, home goods/decor with a quirky or geeky flair.
About the shop:
Using the best supplies I can find from a independent local yarn shop, I've been putting the form and function into fiber since 2009. I specialize in geek couture and quirky wearables and home goods. I love a challenge to create quality unique goods for anyone, geeky, nerdy, or otherwise. In April of 2014 I changed the name/brand from Tiger Knitty to The Dizzy Windmill. I loved the idea of 'windmill' being in the name somewhere as I am part dutch. And the idea of a windmill being dizzy amused me and I think appealed to the quirky and geeky style of my products.
Is there anything unique about your shop that readers should know about?
All yarn scraps are saved to stuff toys with, items are shipped in upcycled boxes.
What are some fun facts about you that you'd like to share with readers?
I used to live in a really small town so if I wasn't in school or working, I would spend a lot of time in my room with some music on and knitting. The first couple times I made hats - they were completely the wrong size. But now I love them, I can make rather quickly usually, unless I'm busy or its a complex pattern. I am a bit of a nerd myself (sci fi and music) so I've realized I would like to work more in that area. I've started to learn what kind of materials I prefer to work with, and generally love what I do. From looking at patterns to shopping for yarn and seeing all the amazing colors. I really cant wait to see what happens next.There are several crafts I will like to eventually get into such as weaving, basket weaving, chain mail jewelry and dying my own yarn to use and sell.
GIVEAWAY: Barista mitts, winner's choice of color - as seen in the shop. Winner agrees to pay shipping.

2 comments:

  1. Love your items. :) I'm a bit of a nerd, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Gaia scarf but the shop has a lot of great items that I also love!

    ReplyDelete